I referenced this yummy dessert in my Instagram the other day. And now, I give you the official recipe post. Oh boy, is this the perfect Summer dessert! One thing I love the most about making a galette, is that it is so incredibly easy. For those who are scared of making a pie, or who don't have a pie plate, this free-form pie is an easy solution.
I just love the colors that come from the combination of apricots and cherries. The bright orange, the deep red! People always say that you eat first with your eyes and this galette is a perfect example of that fact. Don't these pictures just make you salivate?
You must make this soon. Cherries are only in season for a short while longer and you can't miss out on the wonderful flavors to be had!
(adapted from Natasha's Kitchen)
1 lb. apricots, sliced
2 cups cherries, pitted
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 pie crust (store bought or this favorite recipe)
1/4 cup milk
sugar, for sprinkling on crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the apricots and cherries in a bowl with the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and almond extract.
- Roll pie crust out onto parchment paper and place on sheet pan.
- Pour fruit mixture into middle of pie crust, leaving about a 2 inch border on all sides.
- Fold pie crust over fruit and pinch to seal. Brush milk on pie crust edges and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown and the fruit juices are syrupy.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving!