Once again, we're on the Asian takeout craze! This is one of our Panda Express favorites, and a fairly new one for me. Usually, I get my order of Orange Chicken and Beijing Beef, but a while back I decided to try the Honey Walnut Shrimp and I've since become an addict. I always get it and then alter between the other two options as my second entrée.
I love the sweet flavor combined with the candied walnuts. You really can't beat the texture too. Now if I can only discover how to make chow mein like Panda, I'll never have to go out for Asian food ever again! Now that's a thought...
Honey Walnut Shrimp
(adapted from use real butter)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnut halves
3 tbs. mayonnaise
1 1/2 tbs. honey
1 1/2 tbs. condensed milk
1 tbs. lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch
- Heat 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add sugar and stir, constantly, until golden and thickened. Add walnuts and gently toss to combine. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, honey, condensed milk, and lemon juice; set aside.
- Heat about 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, to taste. Working one at a time, dip the shrimp into the egg, then dredge in the cornstarch, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add the shrimp to the skillet, 8-10 at a time, and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, honey sauce, and walnuts.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Oh, and this chunky little girl decided to come and visit while I was photographing this post. She (and daddy) were drooling over the food :)
The food looks good, but the chunky baby looks delicious! I need to get down there to kiss on those sweet cheeks and squeeze those plump little thighs! Give her love from me. :)ReplyDelete